When it comes to the educational sector, you find a massive inflow of data coming in daily. This data needs to be collected and organized effectively. This enormous influx of data is known as Big Data. This refers to a massive volume of data created daily.
In the educational sector, administrators, students, and teachers leave an unlimited trail of information over time in the institution. This data relates to information that covers your whole institution and at its granular level given to you by your students.
Big Data Analytics and Hadoop Database benefits
Educational institutions use computers; however, the advancements of technology have increased the flow to data drastically. Prominent web 2.0 companies like Facebook and Google receive massive amounts of data from their users daily.
This is why they use the Hadoop database to store and manage these large sets of data. Hadoop is proved valuable to other traditional enterprises, and educational institutions are no exception. Given below are the top reasons why you should embrace the Hadoop database for Big Data analytics in your educational institute-
- It is scalable – Hadoop is a hugely scalable platform. You can store and distribute massive sets of data across cost-effective servers that operate parallelly to one another.
They are unlike traditional databases like the relational database system (RDBMS) that cannot be scaled easily. Hadoop helps businesses manage applications on multiple nodes with data that is as large as a thousand terabytes.
- Cost-effective – Hadoop provides affordable storage- solutions for businesses with large data sets that keep on growing extensively. Traditional databases are costly to scale up, especially when it needs to manage massive inflows of data. In the past, educational institutions had no choice but to downsample information and based on certain assumptions set out which of the data should be kept for records.
The extra raw data generally was deleted as it would be too costly for the educational institution to keep. Hadoop can mitigate the high-cost prohibitions to no small extent. It is an affordable database for you to scale up as and when needed.
- Flexible – Hadoop is very flexible, and it helps an educational institution access new data quite easily. You can quickly get different kinds of data both in the unstructured and structured forms. With this data, you can effectively generate a lot of value from it as well.
This means your educational institution can derive valuable insights after its academic performance from sources like email conversations, social media, and clickstream data. Hadoop is a database that can be used for multiple purposes like recommendation systems, educational campaign analysis, and the effective detection of fraud. To know more about how Hadoop database systems can benefit your academic or educational institution, contact skilled professionals here at Remote DBA.
- Fast – Hadoop has unique storage that is based on a file system that is distributed in nature. This system maps the data that is situated on the cluster. The tools used in data processing are on the same server where the data is located, as this helps to process the information faster.
If you manage large sets of unstructured data, Hadoop can effectively handle data in thousands of terabytes in a few minutes and petabytes of data in a few hours.
- Handles failures better – A primary benefit of using the Hadoop database is its tolerance to a fault. When this data is transmitted to the individual node, this information is replicated to the other data nodes to the cluster.
This means when any failure does include in the system; another copy remains for subsequent use. As an educational institution, you cannot afford to lose precious data, so it is here that the Hadoop database plays a crucial role.
How can Big Data help academic institutions?
Big data helps educators make crucial decisions for the academic industry. They need to identify problems in the institution. Software programs help educators make an analysis and interpret the demographics so that you can propel the educational institution forward. The following are some of the key advantages of big data analytics for educational institutions-
- Get accurate answers to questions – You are in a better place to evaluate the information you receive. For instance, if you are in charge of an academic institution, you may see a decline in admissions. You need to determine the cause of this decline to know how and when the environments are changing. This is where big data helps you. You can determine why these admission declines are taking place, are they across a single department or the institution as a whole, are the enrollments dropping because of a professor’s teaching standards, etc.
- The data can be accessed quickly and faster – Thanks to technology, you can get all the raw data quickly and organize them faster. You can manage the information in the database and save space with stacks of files. Moreover, you can get the info you need faster.
- Cost-saving – Big data helps you to make a lot of cost-saving decisions. You get accurate information, and with this insight, you can make the desired changes as and when the need arises. You get custom reports, and you can save the precious time of teachers with success. Moreover, you can make salient decisions when it comes to the recruitment of staff.
Therefore, if you are in charge of an educational institution, you need to use big data analytics for better performance. With the Hadoop database’s help, you can manage both structured and unstructured data coming in at large flow. The database helps you to achieve this raw data for making informed decisions for your educational institution.
In this way, you can increase educational value and ensure your institution stays at the top of the market competition when it comes to competing with others in the same market niche. Ease of managing things will surely bring positive results for you.